East Corner Elevation
East Corner Elevation

East Elevation
East Elevation

North Elevation
North Elevation

East Corner Elevation
East Corner Elevation

1/3

This is our vision for the South Lodge. Let us know your thoughts!

SLH_001_sunny_ph.jpg
SLH_002_sunny_ph.jpg
 

Get involved!

Help us to create renderings for different vacant buildings and contribute to get these buildings being brought back to life! In return, we will promote your work on our App and social media and you could even be part of the project team when the project goes ahead.

Help us decide which use should the South Lodge at Belleisle Park. See the images we have proposed and join the discussion in our App.

Are you an Architect or a 3D Artist? 

South Lodge has a Grand Grade score of 0.72

Grand Bequest calculates the suitability, or ‘Grand Grade,’ that can be used to sort projects by viability and strengthens objective communication, supports decision-making, and promotes resource allocation to the most ideal projects for conservation taking into account aspects such as cultural significance, social benefit, financial sustainability and adaptability.

Learn more about Grand Grades here.

Cultural Significance

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Interdum velit laoreet id donec ultrices. Vitae suscipit tellus mauris a diam. Fames ac turpis egestas maecenas pharetra. Sed felis eget velit aliquet. Sagittis eu volutpat odio facilisis mauris sit. Imperdiet nulla malesuada pellentesque elit eget gravida cum sociis natoque. Tincidunt eget nullam non nisi est sit. Id semper risus in hendrerit gravida rutrum quisque non. Nisi est sit amet facilisis magna etiam tempor orci eu. Vel pretium lectus quam id leo in vitae.

Financial Sustainability

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Interdum velit laoreet id donec ultrices. Vitae suscipit tellus mauris a diam. Fames ac turpis egestas maecenas pharetra. Sed felis eget velit aliquet. Sagittis eu volutpat odio facilisis mauris sit. Imperdiet nulla malesuada pellentesque elit eget gravida cum sociis natoque. Tincidunt eget nullam non nisi est sit. Id semper risus in hendrerit gravida rutrum quisque non. Nisi est sit amet facilisis magna etiam tempor orci eu. Vel pretium lectus quam id leo in vitae.

Social Benefit

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Interdum velit laoreet id donec ultrices. Vitae suscipit tellus mauris a diam. Fames ac turpis egestas maecenas pharetra. Sed felis eget velit aliquet. Sagittis eu volutpat odio facilisis mauris sit. Imperdiet nulla malesuada pellentesque elit eget gravida cum sociis natoque. Tincidunt eget nullam non nisi est sit. Id semper risus in hendrerit gravida rutrum quisque non. Nisi est sit amet facilisis magna etiam tempor orci eu. Vel pretium lectus quam id leo in vitae.

Adaptability

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Interdum velit laoreet id donec ultrices. Vitae suscipit tellus mauris a diam. Fames ac turpis egestas maecenas pharetra. Sed felis eget velit aliquet. Sagittis eu volutpat odio facilisis mauris sit. Imperdiet nulla malesuada pellentesque elit eget gravida cum sociis natoque. Tincidunt eget nullam non nisi est sit. Id semper risus in hendrerit gravida rutrum quisque non. Nisi est sit amet facilisis magna etiam tempor orci eu. Vel pretium lectus quam id leo in vitae.

 

More about the building

HISTORY

Historic Origin

In the 1870s the area where the building now resides was utilised as a tent hall by the United Evangelical Association. On 23 March 1906, the building opened as the New Central Police Office in Low Green Street. Designed by Alexander Beith McDonald (1847-1915), the building is a prime example of ‘Glasgow Style’ which has architecturally defined Glasgow through its neo-gothic architecture. McDonald worked on many other buildings in the area like, the People’s Palace Museum and the Kelvin Way Bridge. 

 

Former Glasgow District Court and the Police Force

The Glasgow Police Force was the first police force established in the United Kingdom in 1800. Glasgow’s Police and the New Central Police Office have a long and proud history imbued with historical significance. Starting on 28 June 1910, the first police dogs in Britain commenced work at the Low Green Street Station. Emily Pankhurst's arrest and overnight stay after the 1914 Battle of Glasgow created a public outcry, winning the suffragettes public sympathy. On 6 September 1915, Emily Gibbs became Glasgow’s first policewoman. In 1918 John McAulay was awarded the Victoria Cross. He is the only Scottish Police Officer to receive this honor and 1/7 from the entire United Kingdom. In 1939 the Police Force started the Air Raid Precaution Service (A.R.P.) to help protect citizens during WWII. The long and honorable history of the Glasgow Police Force ended on 15 May 1975 with the creation of the Strathclyde Police. 

 

In 1975 with the passing of the District Courts (Scotland) Act the building found a new life as District Court One. From 2001-2008 the Police Museum was also run on the premises. The building closed on 4 December 2008. 

ARCHITECTURE

The building is large and ranges from two to three storeys with an additional half storey attic. It’s constructed of dressed red brick in the English Garden Wall Bond style. The building is done in the early 20th century “Glasgow Style” but features the red brick which was prominent during late 19th century Victorian architecture. The building features the Glasgow Crest which was patented in 1866 by Lord Lyon. It also features several justice sculptures and decorative filigree. The exterior’s sculptures and intricate detailing set it apart from many of the other buildings in the city, even those also designed by Alexander Beith McDonald. 

 

There are many windows which alternate between Venetian style, Curved Principals with a ridge piece, and rectangular windows with Gibbs. The roof is mulit-pitched with several dormers, and on the northern side there is a metal Cupola roof. 

 

The interior of the building is split between the District One Court, prisoner holding areas, and administrative rooms. The interior has a winder staircase leading to the upper floors. The building’s interior is mainly done in white tile and white lacquered brick.

Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 22.33.49.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 22.33.19.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 22.35.53.png
 

LOCATION